Friday, February 5, 2010

Reflection on the Artwork of Andy Goldsworthy

(Online Activity)

First I have to say, his art gives me the shivers! I think the child in me finds it very thrilling because I used to play in the forest a lot when I was a kid, and I can just imagine how I would feel to come upon something like that in the woods. I would immediately think, "magic!!!" I want to call him a real, live fairy!

I think he can make such beautiful art is because he truly feels connected to nature, and a part in it. He puts so much time and effort into building each piece, carefully and slowly...and yet he knows full well how fragile it is, and that it might only last a few hours, or even moments, when a gust of wind blows it all away. After this happened to one of his pieces, he said, "I am so amazed at times that I am actually alive." I think what he is really saying is that he recognizes that he is just as fragile as his artwork. All life is just this way, isn't it? Beautiful and fragile and very temporary. Realizing this, I don't feel afraid. I feel more free than ever; free to pursue what I consider the most important things in life, and not get so caught up in the other things.

It seems to me that the way he does art is a good example for how we should treat the land. He only uses supplies that he finds locally. He doesn't do any damage to the environment, and any changes he does make are returned relatively shortly. He treats the land reverently.

Have you heard of post-Avatar depression? Here is a link to an article about it: http://mashable.com/2010/01/12/post-avatar-depression-hits-thousands-of-fans-video/ Basically the depression comes after watching Avatar and comparing our "gray" world to the colorful, vibrant world of Pandorum (the planet Avatar takes place on.) Apparently there are a lot of people feeling this way. "When I woke up this morning after watching Avatar for the first time yesterday, the world seemed … gray. It was like my whole life, everything I’ve done and worked for, lost its meaning….I live in a dying world." I think that this depression is doubly sad because...newsflash!! We DO live in a vibrantly, beautiful world and it's all there for you to experience if you just reach out for it! And I just think that Andy Goldsworthy's art shows that off perfectly. Everyone here is so lucky to be free to go and live where-ever they choose...So if you are finding the city life too "gray" then move to the country! You wouldn't have to use an outhouse or anything, either! (haha) In any case, there is a lot of beauty to be found in the city if you really take a good look; I've been taking some time out of my day to admire the frost on the trees as I walk to the bus stop, for example. If you aren't looking for it, you might miss some fairy artwork hidden amongst the branches.


References:
Mashable. Post-Avatar Depression Hits Fans. Found at: http://mashable.com/2010/01/12/post-avatar-depression-hits-thousands-of-fans-video/ Retrieved on: Feb.5/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment