Monday, March 8, 2010

My Marvelous Meals

Blog Reflection: Food and You
Write down your food intake for the next 48 hours. What foods do you eat regularly? What environmental concerns relate to your diet?

Here is what I've been eating...I took a few pictures too.
Sunday, March 7th
Breakfast:
shredded wheat
2 T. walnuts
1 T. raisins
1 c. skim milk
1 grapefruit


Lunch:
2 slices whole grain bread
1 T. peanut butter
1 T. jam (no sugar added)
1 c. snap peas
55 g. carrot sticks
celery sticks
2 T. hummus
Activia yogurt
1/4 c. granola
apple

Supper:
2/3 c. brown rice
3 oz. chicken (breast meat and wing)
1 1/2 c. broccoli
1 tomato
mushrooms
1 c. skim milk
1/2 c. grapes

Monday, March 8th
Breakfast:
1 c. Kashi Go Lean cereal
1 c. skim milk
1 hard boiled egg
1/2 grapefruit

Lunch:
1 c. rice
3 oz. chicken
1 c. green beans
1 c. broccoli
Activia yogurt
1/4 c. granola
apple

Supper:
2 slices whole grain bread
1 T. peanut butter
1 T. jam
55 g. carrots
cucumber slices
mushrooms
1 c. snap peas
celery
2 pc. light Laughing Cow Cheese
1 c. skim milk
banana

So as you can see, I have extremely healthy eating habits. I have 3 meals a day, no snacks. Every meal I have whole grains, tons of vegetables, a fruit, and a serving of low fat dairy. I have 6 oz. or less of meat, fish, poultry, and meat substitutes (such as cheese, cottage cheese, tofu etc.) per day. I eat very little red meat, usually I have chicken or turkey breast or salmon. I also eat 2-3 servings of healthy fats per day (such as nuts, peanut butter, olive oil, margarine etc.) I drink a LOT of water. I try to stay away from processed foods as much as possible; and I rarely eat out anymore. I plan my meals in advance, write everything down and stay within a calorie limit for the day (1500-1700 calories). I've been eating this way since May 2009, and combined with a regular exercise routine, change of lifestyle habits and mentality have lost 80 lbs!

Approximately half the volume of my food intake is fruits and vegetables. I have had some difficulties getting organic produce at the grocery store for 2 reasons- availability and cost. Safeway does not have the wide variety of organic produce that I would like to see. Many of the fruits and vegetables I want to eat are not available as organic. Trying another grocery store isn't really an option for me. Since I changed my lifestyle I decided to get rid of my car; I walk and/or bus to the grocery store now. It is very important that I have good access to the grocery store because I am there 2-3 times/week to get fresh food. Then there is the issue of cost. I am a full-time student, living in an apartment, with no support from my parents, and a paltry student loan. I am honestly already stretched to the limit buying the groceries I already do, nevermind organic! For example, take a look at the website for "Eat It, Canada's Online Organic Store." http://www.eatit.ca/default.asp I might be able to afford the produce, even though the apples for example can cost $0.75-1.00 each! But there is no way I could afford the canned food, cereals, pastas, etc. A can of diced tomatoes is $4.99, whereas I could get the same for $1.00 non-organic.

It is very frustrating to be in this position. All people should have better access to organic food, and at better prices. If more farmers decided to grow and sell their produce organically and locally, it would be much better for the people and the environment which we are a part of. I don't want to support the tons of pesticides and herbicides that are sprayed onto the land every year. Having those good fresh foods available would also benefit people's health. It seems to me that the rising obesity levels and disease caused/related to obesity (such as diabetes, heart attacks, stroke, etc.) are clear warning sign that humans are not in harmony with our environment. Clearly the processed foods packed with salt, sugar, and fat are not good for anyone. But it seems that not everyone is as keen on having the idea of having a farmer's market nearby as me. I asked my roommate if she would go a few times per week to get fresh produce if there was one nearby. She said no, and that she didn't have enough time to get to Safeway once a week as it is. She has an office job and works a lot of overtime. More evidence for unhealthy lifestyles that lead to unhealthy eating and an unhealthy environment....so that made me quite sad to hear. My boyfriend has been trying to follow my eating habits whenever possible. He makes a lot of faces, but really has been very good about trying new things. Shopping from a Farmer's Market for healthy food just might be something that people would have to learn to include in their daily routine. Just like regular exercise or taking the time to cook healthily at home, it's a matter of priorities. Personally, I've learned to put my health first, understanding that before I can take care of anyone else, I have to take care of myself. And ultimately taking care of myself equates to taking care of everyone...if it means I push for organic food to be more available, more community gardening space, more Farmer's Markets, etc.


Something I am seriously discussing with my Dad and brothers right now is switching over our farm from conventional to organic. And by discussing I mean it's basically me trying to convince them that this would be a good thing! I am very excited to go to the Environmental Career Fair on Wednesday to see if there is anything I can learn that might help my argument. I believe the Organic Food Council of Manitoba is going to be there so I hope to get some information from them. It seems that this idea is especially hard for my Dad to grasp. Suggesting that he reduce the amount of land he has, sell most of his machinery, and drastically change the way he has been farming for years feels like a step backwards to him. Especially since he has worked so so hard his whole life to get where he is right now...learning that it hasn't been the best path is very difficult to hear. I think many farmers in the area where I grew up would feel quite similarly. What I think is needed is a consultant/educator to come and pitch the idea in a realistic way; one that includes exactly how switching over from conventional to organic farming would work. It's becoming my dream more and more that my family farm becomes organic, and hopefully someday my brothers and I might be selling local, organic produce at a Farmer's Market near you!




Works Cited:


Eat It, Canada's Online Organic Store. http://www.eatit.ca/default.asp Retrieved on: Mar. 10/10

Health Canada. Obesity. http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hl-vs/iyh-vsv/life-vie/obes-eng.php Oct 2006. Retrieved on: Mar. 10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment