Monday, March 22, 2010

Viva la Tiny Revolution!

Blog Reflection:
Consider the evidence of Affluenza that you see around you. Do you see it in yourself, your friends, family, or North American society? Can you take action to combat affluenza?

Affluenza is a tough disease to beat because it has a very attractive exterior. It promises you wealth and happiness but really brings only emptiness and desires that can never be fulfilled. The definition we learned in class is "a painful, contagious, socially transmitted condition of overload, debt, anxiety and waste resulting from the dogged pursuit of more." The evidence of this is definitely all around me, and unfortunately within me (although I've been trying to fight it).

In the past I have had a much stronger case of affluenza than I do now. I can even remember when it started, I was around 8 years old and began getting an allowance. My cousin Jenny who is around my age had a sticker collection, and I decided I wanted one too. From then on I spent every dollar I got on stickers, trying to build a more beautiful, bigger and better collection. It seems that the urge to compete is strong even at a young age! From then on I considered myself a "collector." I went through all the usual crazes...marbles, beanie babies, CDs, etc. But the addictions that have persisted are my DVDs and books. I'm ashamed but I'm going show you my DVD collection. The funny thing is a few months ago I would have been proud of it... I used to justify this by saying I would only let my "favorites" into my collection. I told my Uncle Mike this and he laughed and said, "Teresa and her 500 favorites!" I realized that something about the situation just wasn't right!


I made a New Years Resolution to not buy any more DVDs and have stuck with it so far. I mainly did it for financial reasons. It's a horrible thing to be a poor person with affluenza stuck in North American society. It feels like there is no possible way to be happy. If you think the only way to be fulfilled is through possessions and stuff, which you can never afford because you're in debt and work a minimum wage job, what a miserable life you will lead! My Grandparents and parents really drilled that into me when I was growing up. The absolutely crucial importance of getting a really high earning profession, preferrably a doctor. Then you will be happy with your huge house, 3 door garage, white picket fence and mountains of stuff. The thing is...that's exactly what my Grandparents, parents, and Aunts and Uncles have...but honestly they don't seem very happy with their lives a lot of the time anyways.

I've told some of my family members about voluntary simplicity, and my plans to gather as little material possessions as possible during my lifetime. My Grandma thinks I'm completely crazy. Definitely the "deviant" out of all her grandkids. She is all about the money. It could be because of her background...her family was very rich when she was young, but lost everything during WWII and became extremely poor. She worked very hard and became a doctor and improved her situation. I think many people who settled here in North America had a similar experience. They came from harsh circumstances, often oppressive countries, and worked extremely hard for what they have. If they can earn more it's always better of course....except it's gone way too far, and it's not getting better anymore. But because they have that mentality so ingrained, asking them to give up what they've worked so hard for is complete crazy talk. Of course nobody expects us to completely deprive ourselves...but we do have to realize the very big difference between needs and wants!

I do see affluenza in my friends. They are typical girls with overflowing closets and 50 pairs of heels each! I have some guy friends with overflowing closets too. (haha!) Despite this, I've noticed most of my close friends do not have as bad a case of affluenza as the older generation of people. They do have tons of clothes but don't have plans to amass a huge house with 3 cars, etc etc. I've spoken to my 2 best friends about it and we all agree that living in a smaller home, like an apartment or condo is best, and that we'd prefer not to get a house. We don't want to be tied down with a mortgage, bills, never really being able to leave, and all the other responsibilites. We want to effectively avoid the anxiety and debt, leaving ourselves open to possibilites, to travel, move, and so on. We'd all rather spend our money on travel and adventures than a mortgage. Eventually (when and if) we would start a family it would be small enough to fit into an apartment. One, maximum two, children! I do feel somewhat sad about this because I came from a big family and I love my 3 brothers dearly; when I was younger I always wanted a big family myself...but not having one is the responsible thing to do. And as my friend pointed out, each other's children can be like siblings to one another, which is a lovely thought.

One of my favorite ideas for combating affluenza so far has got to be the "Tiny House!" I am posting the link to the Tumbleweed Tiny House Company. They build houses that are, well, tiny! They have everything 2 people NEED, and admittedly not room for much else. But I think it's so much better to be out there in the world living life than trapped inside with your stuff. The tiny houses are very good for the environment, they take very little resources to build, need less natural gas to heat and air conditioning to cool, use less electricity, and are very cheap (costwise, not quality)! These tiny houses embody a radical lifestyle change.
http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/houses/fencl/

I wouldn't expect everyone to live in a house this small. But for me it represents the fact that we can live a life that is small, low impact, but still beautiful. Mountains of stuff and huge mansions mean that people (and the environment) out there are being exploited for our sake. Their resources are being depleted, they are sitting in sweatshops making our things, then dealing with our garbage when we throw it away. I don't want to live with that burden. I can't, and I won't. I feel overwhelmed by all the "issues" sometimes. But when I've calmed down I realize that the best way to combat affluenza is to lead by example. I'm going to live my own life in the best way I know how. I'm learning more and more all the time as I become more aware of the issues. I'm talking to everyone I know about what I'm doing and why I'm doing it. Spreading the awareness and hoping that they will take it as personally as I do in time. I can't control what other people do, but I can control myself.

"We all want progress, but if you're on the wrong road, progress means doing an about-turn and walking back to the right road; in that case, the man who turns back soonest is the most progressive."
-C. S. Lewis

I am completely willing to admit that I've made horrible misjudgments and mistakes in the past, but now it's time to move on and embrace a better way of life. Would it be such a horrible thing if we as a society did the same? I like to think of it as true progress.


Works Cited:

Brainy Quote. C.S.Lewis Quotes. 2010. Found at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/c/c_s_lewis_3.html Retrieved on: March 22, 2010.
Tumbleweed Tiny House Company. 2008. Found at: http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/houses/fencl/ Retrieved on: March 21, 2010.







No comments:

Post a Comment